Most of us are far better at talking about what we don’t like than about what we enjoy or what touches us deeply. That’s because we have been trained not to ask for what we want. We will bend ourselves backwards, deny our feelings, feel guilty of asking and burn ourselves out all to avoid stating our needs.
Don’t be Self-centered. Be centered in the Self.Swami Chinmayananda
Our social conditioning holds us back by stating that putting ourselves first is selfish or wrong, or that we should always give to others first.
What’s the basis of this conditioning? You will be surprised. It’s our fear!
The most common ones we see are:
- Fear of rejection – If I ask for what I want I’ll get turned down!
- Fear of success – If I ask for what I want, and actually get it, will I be able to handle it?
- Fear of loss / obligation – If I ask for what I want and get it, what might I have to give back?
- Fear of the unknown – If I ask for what I want and get it, then what? What else may open up from other side?
Asking for what we want can feel vulnerable. We like to stick to our old habits and stay within what’s comfortable and familiar. When we express What We Want, we step out of the shadows to declare ourselves and open to the possibility of the new and unknown.
Tiwiw strives to make it easier for you to express and be authentic.
15 simple ways to express our needs and desires on Tiwiw:
- I’d love a zoom call with you to clear things.
- I’d love to do something different, like go for a hike.
- I’d like to go camping this weekend.
- Can I get Vegan hamper from ‘Vega’ this Diwali?
- Can I get Calm Subscription?
- What resonates for me this Christmas is gift to charity.
- My body needs movement – I need a Trainer.
- I need someone to help me setting up my new kitchen.
- I want to go swimming today.
- I would like to watch movie this weekend.
- I want just this knee length dress and shoes.
- All I want is Lasagna cooked by you.
- I need to go to Spa.
- I would love if you guys join me to watch ‘Avataar’?
- Let’s go for a family adventure trip this year!
Expressing what you want helps you to connect to yourself and the other person, as well as communicate the importance of your request.
- I’m stressed, what I need is daily meditation: Can I get Calm Subscription?
- I am feeling tired: I need to go to Spa.
- We as family are fit and feel energized: Let’s go for an adventure!
- I am particular about brand and what I eat: Can I get Vegan hamper from ‘Vega’ this Diwali?
- I just want to spend time with you and I long for home food: All I want is Lasagna cooked by you.
- I am short on finance, redoing kitchen myself, and need support: I need someone to help me setting up my new kitchen
Expressing your needs and desires is essential for living a balanced, fulfilled and waste free life. Take time to check in with yourself regularly on what you want and express freely and share it with loved ones on Tiwiw.
That’s the power you have got. Expressing is just the beginning!
and adopt a conscious lifestyle, checkout the TIWIW App now!
What do you think?